Friday, April 20, 2007

More Big Cats....




These are more cats from ADWC. Currently the facility is private and belongs to and is supported by HH Sh. Mansoor bin Zayed al Nahyan. It is moving to a bigger location with more space for the cats within a few months and the facility will be open to the public. The new facility is on the road towards to Emirates International Endurance Village.

Many of these cats are rescues from less than ideal situations and now live in a spotless, modern facility under the eye of Ronel Smuts, who is without a doubt, one of the most dedicated people to animal conservation I have ever met. What she has done is noting short or a miracle and without her devotion, many of these big cats would not be alive. Some of the stories about how some of the cats came to the center are horrific and both Ronel and HH Sh. Mansoor are to be commended on what has been accomplished.

The cheetahs represented at ADWC are Somali cheetahs and are an endangered sub species. The center has been successful in breeding the cats as Diego is proof of what dedication to saving these animals can do.

The black cat shown is a black leopard. The center also have tigers, caracals, jaguars and lions, a year old male lion Zulu, I was able to scratch him as well!

The ADWC does school programs to teach kids about animal conservation and why these are not pets in the hope that with education about these animals plight will bring a sense that we all need to work to keep these beautiful cats safe.

Please get involved, they will be looking for public support in the new center and what better than to be able to visit such amazing creatures and contribute to their survival.

3 comments:

nzm said...

This is awesome!

Thanks for sharing the pics and the story.

cheers
nzm

Jinx said...

Thanks..M
Love always
Ronel

Unknown said...

I visited the ADWC today 19th June 2008. It was a personal moment of returning back to who I am and what I love the most. And seeing the effort being put in at the centre and looking ahead... to me it appears as a oasis in the middle of the urban jungle that the UAE is becoming. It was a soul seraching moment for me having recently experienced a heart breaking personal tragedy. I felt a sense of direction in my life.
My apologies if I sound unclear but I came out with great sense of breaking away from the past and starting a fresh.

I met the lions, the tiger it's a home in making a legacy taking shape. Needs a lot more trees inside and maybe some creepers on the fences had so many ideas running in my head as i walked along. Inshallah next time i come there will make a film.


God Bless!

Anil Sharma